Title
Game
Community
Media
SPEAK YOUR MIND

"Does the distance one travels from center make one more free to move?"

"No. Freedom has two parts: potential and resolution; as metaphor has two parts: form and interpretation. Of course, the two are intertwined. Metaphor lines the road to freedom, as symbols and words are the bricks and mortar of meaning. Freedom is being the bricoleur, the mason."

Discord!
Visit Marathon:Resurrection on Discord to chat.

Old school. IRC!
Visit #marathon on irc.gamesurge.net to chat and gather net games.
Make sure you create a user profile. You can't post without one!

| View Thread | | Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum

Ok, look....

Posted By: Grasshopper
Date: 2002.12.12.10.15

In Response To: Basic Critizisim. (A.C. Wells)

If you want to play Marathon, then we're happy to give you a couple of pointers, but don't do shit like title your post "basic criticism," and don't say stuff like "macs me shudder," and then ask to not be flamed. What kind of passive-aggressive shit is that?

If you have "basic criticisms," mb play the game first. If you don't, then don't title your post like you do.

That's by far the most polite answer that Dr. Ball has given in a long time -- and Dr. Ball knows his Marathon, trust me, so if you want advice, I suggest you be on your best bahaviour with him, or expect to be flamed. (Incinerated is more like it.)

I also suggest you steer clear of betraying whatever prejudice you may have with regards to platforms.

That said, I'm just a nice, sweet little grasshopper, so I'll try to answer some of your questions.

A lot of people were pretty dissapointed that Bungie didn't make "Marathon 4," but they moved on to bigger and better things. The engine that was used for Pathways was then reworked and used for Marathon. Reworked again, and used for Myth/Myth II. Reworked, and used again for Halo. It's a good engine. There are sections of the Myth II code whose programmer comments date back to PiD, 1993. I wonder if there are any left in Halo.

If you're used to playing modern FPS games, then Marathon will look like crap, even the Aleph One version, which still looks about a million times better than the original. A new build of Aleph One M1A1 is forthcoming, so keep checking marathon.bungie.org. That said, if you're not out for eye candy, the Marathon storyline is an amazing one. In spite of its numerous sci-fi clichés, it's a mesmerizing plot populated with engrossing characters and a believable storyline. A good friend of mine who is a die hard Marathoner loves Half Life, and often compares the two.

There are many connections between Halo and Marathon to be made, although I personally don't think Halo is "Marathon 4," (I wish it was). I think that storywise, Bungie really dropped the ball on Halo, probably to appeal to a wider market. That's just me.

There is indeed a "Halo book," which you can find at the Bungie store. If a Halo-Marathon connection MUST be made, then Halo is a Marathon prequel. There's much to read on the subject, check the hbo forums.

I think you asked about the Marathon release date. Marathon shipped in 1994. The Marathon: Resurrection project aims to recreate the Marathon experience in a more modern 3D engine. The full solo campaign won't be out for a while, but you can download the demo, which has 3 solo levels. I should warn you that M:R will probably ruin the regular Marathon for you -- it did for me. M:R is also the best way to play Marathon multiplayer over the Internet.

Is Marathon worth the download? Who knows. You sound like a guy who likes to read, mb you'll like it, mb you wont.

-gh

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include an image (picture) with your message,
please provide the URL address of the image file:

Optional Image URL:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

| View Thread | | Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 5.01.