Title
Game
Community
Media
SPEAK YOUR MIND

"Does the distance one travels from center make one more free to move?"

"No. Freedom has two parts: potential and resolution; as metaphor has two parts: form and interpretation. Of course, the two are intertwined. Metaphor lines the road to freedom, as symbols and words are the bricks and mortar of meaning. Freedom is being the bricoleur, the mason."

Discord!
Visit Marathon:Resurrection on Discord to chat.

Old school. IRC!
Visit #marathon on irc.gamesurge.net to chat and gather net games.
Make sure you create a user profile. You can't post without one!

| View Thread | | Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum

Re: Critique: weapons

Posted By: Captain Bob
Date: 2008.1.3.14.42

In Response To: Re: Critique: weapons (Wail of Suicide)

I'm glad you came back to this. Unfortunately I can't play your test map. I had to make a dummy webpage that linked to your url, in order to get a "download linked file" option instead of loading the file _in_ Safari. Then I changed the extension back to .unr and put it in my map folder. I opened MR and typed "open DM-MRAssaultRiflesBC.unr" in the console. It paused for a few seconds, then unexpectedly quit the program. The crash log doesn't help since MR runs under Rosetta.

So for the time being, I'll have to take your word for it that it's improved. One thing to keep in mind is that, to match Marathon's behavior from a physically correct standpoint, you can't scale the horizontal velocity and the gravitational acceleration equally. Velocity is distance/time, and acceleration is distance/time/time. I checked the math, and scaling up both [x velocity] and [z acceleration] linearly causes the 'hangtime' to decrease while the range increases. In other words, it changes both the path of the projectile and the rate at which it travels that path.

: For anyone who's interested in checking it out, I've made
: up a small test map with two altered versions of the
: M:R Assault Rifle in it.

: MA75 B - 800uu/s (15m/s) Grenades falling at 5uu/t

: MA75 C - 1200uu/s (22.5m/s) Grenades falling at 8.333uu/t

: I'm partial to the C variant myself, but give it a shot
: and tell me what you think. (Use the console command
: "allammo" to give yourself infinite ammo for
: testing!)

: Download:
: http://www.wailofsuicide.com/MR/DM-MRAssaultRiflesBC.unr

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include an image (picture) with your message,
please provide the URL address of the image file:

Optional Image URL:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

| View Thread | | Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 5.01.