Title
Game
Community
Media
SPEAK YOUR MIND

"Does the distance one travels from center make one more free to move?"

"No. Freedom has two parts: potential and resolution; as metaphor has two parts: form and interpretation. Of course, the two are intertwined. Metaphor lines the road to freedom, as symbols and words are the bricks and mortar of meaning. Freedom is being the bricoleur, the mason."

Discord!
Visit Marathon:Resurrection on Discord to chat.

Old school. IRC!
Visit #marathon on irc.gamesurge.net to chat and gather net games.
Make sure you create a user profile. You can't post without one!

| View Thread | | Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum

Re: Details

Posted By: Zerostar
Date: 2002.8.19.21.40

In Response To: Re: Details (Tycho)

: This is minimal and somewhat of a low priority. The
: original image of that text at proper resolution is
: actually very nice (I can show you the full rez
: version), however UT has to scale and dither for all
: the various resolutions and any image would look
: "crappy" in that instance.

No, I didn't even mean the jaggedness of a lower resolution. I saw it with my nice graphics card and it did look better, but, again, that wasn't what I meant.

"SOMEWHERE IN THE HEAVENS... THEY ARE WAITING... AND NOW THEY'RE PISSED"

And now they're pissed? I'm sorry, but I think that's taking a step backwards as far as matching the 1994 Marathon. And that's just sad. Think about how cinematic Marathon 2 and Infinity was. And now they're pissed sounds like something Cheezy off of the FOX network. Give me break. ;) The Team has already put so much amazing work into M:R-- please consider that the opening title is the FIRST THING new Marathon players will see.

And yes, now that Marathon is capable of being played on Windows, M:R will be the first Marathon experience for Windows users. You already know this, of course, but I'm pointing it out so you can see that we should try to follow in Bungie's footsteps. We should try to make M:R cinematic. You spoke of meeting standards. Those are mine, as a diehard Marathon fan.

: This is a recreation of M1 so the sounds need to resemble
: those of M1. They don't need to the same, but they
: need to resemble it. At the same time, we need
: original material..not stuff from Cowboy Bepop or
: anything else. The only sounds we have permission to
: use are those from the original Bungie series. You are
: more than welcome, rather encouraged actually, to make
: new sounds. We've been looking for a sound FX guy
: since the inception of the project..but those are the
: requirements.

First off, no one is making money off of M:R, so I promise the Team or anyone will not get in legal trouble for using sounds from Cowboy Bebop or anything else. If we would try to sell M:R, after getting the OK from Bungie (which will never happen), then maybe we should be worried about the legal aspects. But really, as M:R is freeware, those that you'd think would care, actually don't give a damn. I know this from my experience through Atlas Image (www.atlasimage.com).

: Again, what we do needs to resemble the original. Again,
: it doesn't need to be exact, but needs to be in the
: same scope of things. The other thing to keep in mind
: is that whatever appears on the screen is generated by
: the UT engine...that means no QuickTime, Flash or
: anything else. As much as it would be nice to have
: fancy terminals, I don't see this being very feasable
: (though the coders have the say here). At the same
: time..the point of the terminals is to convey the
: story..they have to be simple and to the point. Keep
: in mind that adding a lot of extra graphics and
: animations will increase the size of the uMOD..in it's
: current state with just MP and SP demo the file is
: already 120MBs (!!!)

I understand what you're saying, and agree.

With some things.

Pay attention. This is a very important point I'm about to make, and you don't have to go with it, but just take a moment to think about it... :)

Here goes...

I am a diehard Marathon fan. I grew up with it. It's part of my late childhood. It's part of me. I would never do anything to abuse the series, and, since I love it so much, here's what I expect from a NEW remake.

I don't want to play Marathon 1994. The Team has already taken the graphics to a whole new level. Thus, Marathon: Resurrection is a next-gen Marathon remake. Why must the rest of the game suffer? ;)

Seriously, let's not make Marathon 1994, but rather Marathon 2003. See what I'm trying to say? We have a great engine that will already push Marathon's graphics to a level never seen before in the all series. Let's not just match the original Marathon, let's EXPAND IT!

I'm not talking about story. I'm talking about technology. We have WAY better technology than Bungie did at the time of the original Marathon's conception. And you just want M:R to be like Marathon 1994? Let's not miss the bullseye that we're already aimed directly on!

This thing you said struck me-- You wanted the story to be right to the point. Here's a little clue...

NO ONE IS GOING TO READ THESE TERMINALS.

This is 2002. UT is a high-adrenaline game. UT users are going to be looking for a high-adrenaline experience. You say green text is perfect. I say you couldn't be more wrong. I'm not going back on this one. I'm sticking right to my guns. The terminals suck (which isn't a fault of you or the team). They suck, because Bungie didn't have the technology to make them better in 1994. No one did.

But now... we do. There's no excuse for not even adding side pictures. (And if your excuse is you don't have artists, I'll help!) On the other hand, adding Flash content would indeed rely on the skills of our programmers. Can they do it? Can we find someone who could? :)

The music thing is a big bummer. You might want to put that in the FAQ.

Playing Marathon in true-time 3D has always been a dream of mine, and thank you all for realizing it. Since this game means so much to me, I personally want to contribute as much as I can, providing you with unparalleled quality to ENHANCE Marathon and make Marathon - Resurrection the absolute best it can be. Keep in mind, M:R is most likely going to breath new life into third-part creation. People will start making Marathon scenarios again, and M:R will be the springboard for every one! We should make it as advanced and capable as possible.

Thank you for listening and your comments are always, ALWAYS welcome with me.

:)

http://www.atlasimage.com

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include an image (picture) with your message,
please provide the URL address of the image file:

Optional Image URL:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

| View Thread | | Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 5.01.