Title
Game
Community
Media
SPEAK YOUR MIND

"Does the distance one travels from center make one more free to move?"

"No. Freedom has two parts: potential and resolution; as metaphor has two parts: form and interpretation. Of course, the two are intertwined. Metaphor lines the road to freedom, as symbols and words are the bricks and mortar of meaning. Freedom is being the bricoleur, the mason."

Discord!
Visit Marathon:Resurrection on Discord to chat.

Old school. IRC!
Visit #marathon on irc.gamesurge.net to chat and gather net games.
Make sure you create a user profile. You can't post without one!

| View Thread | | Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum

Re: Thoughts on L5

Posted By: Locucious
Date: 2002.7.11.12.31

In Response To: Thoughts on L5 (mysog)

Ugh, this one's not going to be so fun... First an ambiguous shift cypher, and now this. :P

The black background, low resolution, and over-anti-aliased lines make this a b*tch to pick apart. Oh mighty AIs, we could use a higher-res version. ;)

I did, however, notice one interesting thing. It's extremely difficult to see (it only appeared when I messed with the contrast of the image), but there are 12 concentric circles from the apparent origin of the graph. (I think VidBoi made reference to them earlier). For me, they just scream "polar coordinate system." This would make sense with the lines then... since all the - ends of the lines appear to be locked onto the usual rectangular x and y axes. The dot ends could very well be something else represented in polar coordinates. I'm not sure what, and it certainly doesn't help that we're not given any numbers to work with (we'll have to come up with points on our own), but it seems plausible.

For those not brushed up on trig, here's how to convert between rectangular and polar coordinates:

Polar coordinates are in the form (theta, r).
Rectangular coordinates are in the form (x, y).

x = cos(theta) * r
y = sin(theta) * r

Theta is measured in degrees from the rectangular x axis, and r is the magnitude of the line. (120 appears to have some more meaning now...)

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include an image (picture) with your message,
please provide the URL address of the image file:

Optional Image URL:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

| View Thread | | Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 5.01.