Title
Game
Community
Media
SPEAK YOUR MIND

"Does the distance one travels from center make one more free to move?"

"No. Freedom has two parts: potential and resolution; as metaphor has two parts: form and interpretation. Of course, the two are intertwined. Metaphor lines the road to freedom, as symbols and words are the bricks and mortar of meaning. Freedom is being the bricoleur, the mason."

Discord!
Visit Marathon:Resurrection on Discord to chat.

Old school. IRC!
Visit #marathon on irc.gamesurge.net to chat and gather net games.
Make sure you create a user profile. You can't post without one!

| View Thread | | Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum

CTFMR

Posted By: Grasshopper/MjolnirRecon
Date: 2001.10.29.10.43

In Response To: Re: ... So let's talk about CTF. (Djof)

Captain,

Since you're willing to go the extra mile, and want to do something a bit different, I'd suggest the following:

Two flags, one friendly, one enemy. Object of the game is to capture enemy flag and return it to your base while protecting your flag. Much like UT CTF, a point is scored when you bring back the enemy flag and "touch" your own flag with it. I.e., if your flag is not present, it needs to be returned. So far, CTFMR is identical to UT CTF.

Carrying the flag. Similar to the M2 gametype Kill the Man with the Ball, a Flag Carrier cannot use weapons while carrying either flag. Unlike KTMWTHB, movement is NOT slowed down to walking only. Switching to a weapon automatically drops the flag.

Returning the flag. Say an enemy takes your flag, and you manage to kill the enemy or get him to drop your flag. In UT, the flag is automatically returned to your base when you run over it. In MRCTF, when you walk over your flag, you become a Flag Carrier, and your objective is to return your flag to your base. Again, your weapons become unoperable until you walk over the "flag socket" in your base, in which case the flag is automatically returned. Sometimes, a flag can end up in unreachable areas of the map, so when a flag is dropped, you can have a timer set to, say, one minute, after which a flag is automatically returned.

You can only carry one flag at a time.

Motion detector. Flags appear as different dots, perhaps circles?

Sounds. The sirens in UT CTF are helpful. Maybe you could use the "Falling Juggernaut" siren when a flag is taken.

Sights. I like the "glow" the Flag Carriers have in UT.

While it may seem so much more difficult to have to return your flag (assuming it's been dropped by the enemy) all the way back to your base, I think it would make for a gameplay more adapted to some of Marathon's maps, which are much smaller than typical UT maps.

My two cents,

-gh

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include an image (picture) with your message,
please provide the URL address of the image file:

Optional Image URL:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

| View Thread | | Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 5.01.