Title
Game
Community
Media
SPEAK YOUR MIND

"Does the distance one travels from center make one more free to move?"

"No. Freedom has two parts: potential and resolution; as metaphor has two parts: form and interpretation. Of course, the two are intertwined. Metaphor lines the road to freedom, as symbols and words are the bricks and mortar of meaning. Freedom is being the bricoleur, the mason."

Discord!
Visit Marathon:Resurrection on Discord to chat.

Old school. IRC!
Visit #marathon on irc.gamesurge.net to chat and gather net games.
Make sure you create a user profile. You can't post without one!

| View Thread | | Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum

Footsteps

Posted By: Grasshopper
Date: 2001.8.24.13.26

This may have been previously discussed, but an archive search yielded nada.

Have you guys considered eliminating the footstep sound? Here's why I think you should:

a) Footsteps add a sense of realism which Marathon lacks, however, that realism becomes undermined when the marine walks on so many different surfaces during the course of the game. It's strange that the Marine's boots should make the same sound while on the Marathon, as they do on the Pfhor ship, etc. Even in UT, footsteps sound weird to me in low grav -- but the latter may be just me.

b) The sound itself, a boot walking on a slightly sandy stone surface, sounds great on a map like Thunderdome. However, it sounds weird on Arrival and BGN as it undermines the mood. I know the thing was carved out of a moon, but sand in the Marathon??? The current sound is much more of an M2, outdoors sound. Doesn't really belong in M1.

c) If the Marine makes a walking/running sound, then so must the Pfhor. The Compilers float, and I can buy that -- so the Enforcers, but not the Hulks, Fighters, Troopers, and certainly not the Hunters. And it's gonna be dumb if they all make the same walking sounds. That means you're going to have to design and assign walking sounds for individual enemies.

By eliminating the footstep sound altogether, you'll be cutting down your workload for the sake of making MR more Marathon-like, and you'll solve the Splashscreen problem as well. Currently, when the Splashscreen is displayed, you can hear footsteps if you press your movement keys. Not a big deal, but might sound a little weird when taking into account that you've several of those screens in M1.

Just my two cents

-gh

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include an image (picture) with your message,
please provide the URL address of the image file:

Optional Image URL:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

| View Thread | | Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 5.01.