Title
Game
Community
Media
SPEAK YOUR MIND

"Does the distance one travels from center make one more free to move?"

"No. Freedom has two parts: potential and resolution; as metaphor has two parts: form and interpretation. Of course, the two are intertwined. Metaphor lines the road to freedom, as symbols and words are the bricks and mortar of meaning. Freedom is being the bricoleur, the mason."

Discord!
Visit Marathon:Resurrection on Discord to chat.

Old school. IRC!
Visit #marathon on irc.gamesurge.net to chat and gather net games.
Make sure you create a user profile. You can't post without one!

| View Thread | | Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum

New KKV Flechette model *PIC*

Posted By: Captain Bob
Date: 2007.10.2.04.00

I had time to model a new KKV Flechette weapon today. It sounds like people are open to the idea of improved content in certain places (at least Wail was), so I figured I'd show what I can do with a real example.

I still couldn't pin down the polygon count target very well; the best I found was that all objects in UT are under 750 or so polygons. So I just tried to be as efficient as possible. 261 polygons should be fine on today's hardware. I learned that each weapon uses 3 different models at varying levels of detail, so chances are I'm very close to one of those levels of detail with this model.

It uses 2 texture maps; one for diffuse and one for transparency. They're both 256x256 PNGs, and the model itself is still in native Maya format. This is just a first pass at texturing; just the base colors, over which more texture detail will be added if I continue with it.

I did learn something while doing this model, namely that drum magazines aren't regular cylinders; they're tapered. I also re-discovered the option in UT to hold your weapons in the center of the screen instead of to the side. Both of these made me realize M:R's KKV model deserves more credit than I gave it before.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include an image (picture) with your message,
please provide the URL address of the image file:

Optional Image URL:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

| View Thread | | Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 5.01.