Title
Game
Community
Media
SPEAK YOUR MIND

"Does the distance one travels from center make one more free to move?"

"No. Freedom has two parts: potential and resolution; as metaphor has two parts: form and interpretation. Of course, the two are intertwined. Metaphor lines the road to freedom, as symbols and words are the bricks and mortar of meaning. Freedom is being the bricoleur, the mason."

Discord!
Visit Marathon:Resurrection on Discord to chat.

Old school. IRC!
Visit #marathon on irc.gamesurge.net to chat and gather net games.
Make sure you create a user profile. You can't post without one!

| View Thread | | Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum

Re: Down MADD! Bad MADD! No Biscut!

Posted By: Mr TOZ-T
Date: 2004.12.11.16.19

In Response To: Down MADD! Bad MADD! No Biscut! (Designator_Hawk)

It's been awhile since I've done anything with the original Marathon engine so forgive me if this information is inaccurate.

In M1, concerning monster triggering, there were two types of polygons a monster could be placed on, Glue and SuperGlue. Monsters placed on a "Glue" polygon were essentially deaf and would only activate when they were in viewing distance of the player (or nearest hostile AI) or if they were shot. Monsters placed on a "SuperGlue" poly were blind and deaf. They will only activate when shot or if the player steps on a "glue trigger" poly.

M2 improved upon this by allowing the deaf and blind flags to be set individually for each monster. Plus the inclusion of visible/invisible trigger and zone border polys.

As for the AI, I believe each monster calculated the most direct route to the player by drawing a line from the midpoint of one poly to the next connecting poly and so on, until it reached the player's position.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include an image (picture) with your message,
please provide the URL address of the image file:

Optional Image URL:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

| View Thread | | Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 5.01.