Title
Game
Community
Media
SPEAK YOUR MIND

"Does the distance one travels from center make one more free to move?"

"No. Freedom has two parts: potential and resolution; as metaphor has two parts: form and interpretation. Of course, the two are intertwined. Metaphor lines the road to freedom, as symbols and words are the bricks and mortar of meaning. Freedom is being the bricoleur, the mason."

Discord!
Visit Marathon:Resurrection on Discord to chat.

Old school. IRC!
Visit #marathon on irc.gamesurge.net to chat and gather net games.
Make sure you create a user profile. You can't post without one!

| View Thread | | Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum

1.1.1 -- first impresions/bugs

Posted By: Grasshopper
Date: 2001.11.30.08.48

Well, I finally got 1.1.1 and "got my medicine" from Djof and Anarchy (sp?) who SPNKed me around the the gorgeous (but slow as hell) R66 last night. I also "practiced" a bit on OneHitWonder -- one hell of a fun map. The M:R version is pretty dang faitful to the original (IIRC), and I can't wait until Anaphiel rebuilds those particular textures. But... MAN, these maps look gorgeous.

Ok. So now it's time for the few bugs/wishlist I've noticed so far.

Assault Rifle. Look folks, I don't mean to sound negative, but even in its improved state, the AR is just no fun and, frankly, I only use it when there's no other weapon available. The M2/MI AR was just about perfect. IIRC, the M2 manual described using the M1 AR akin to "wrestling with a greased pig." That's what the M:R AR feels like. Worse, the slooooow firing rate makes me feel like I'm firing a Civil-War era Gaitling gun. The firing rate needs to be faster, the firing sound needs to be faster, the recoil needs to be waaay less. I like the "led-type" counters in the HUD though --- those are very cool.

Sounds. There are two sounds which are used in M:R which could be substituted with Marathon sounds. The latter sound better to my ears anyway. (I play with headphones, so sounds tend to be pretty important to me). The first one is the rocket/grenade fly-by sound. Marathon has a GREAT rocket fly-by sound, much lower in pitch than the current M:R. Finally, the "bullet hitting flesh" sound. M2 had a great one of those as well. The current M:R "bullet hitting flesh" sounds, to me, like a drop of water falling in a pool.

I also agree with people saying that the Magnums should have an increased firing rate (as fast as you can click the mouse). Though not faithful to the original Marathon, playing M|R has convinced me that this is an acceptable improvent, especially in light of the slower weapon respawns (you end up using the pistols more.

Cheers,

-gh

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include an image (picture) with your message,
please provide the URL address of the image file:

Optional Image URL:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

| View Thread | | Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 5.01.