Title
Game
Community
Media
SPEAK YOUR MIND

"Does the distance one travels from center make one more free to move?"

"No. Freedom has two parts: potential and resolution; as metaphor has two parts: form and interpretation. Of course, the two are intertwined. Metaphor lines the road to freedom, as symbols and words are the bricks and mortar of meaning. Freedom is being the bricoleur, the mason."

Discord!
Visit Marathon:Resurrection on Discord to chat.

Old school. IRC!
Visit #marathon on irc.gamesurge.net to chat and gather net games.
Make sure you create a user profile. You can't post without one!

| View Thread | | Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum

Seven years in the making

Posted By: Durandal
Date: 2007.7.9.00.47

There aren't very many specific things I remember from 7 years ago. I was a junior in high school. I drove a 1990 Ford Taurus. I had a really cool course in comparative religions.

I couldn't tell you exactly when Marathon: Resurrection was actually born. I think it was earlier than that. I'm thinking sometime in August of 2000. It might've even been earlier. But I do remember a very specific chat on GameRanger. I don't remember word-for-word what was said, but it went something like ...

Me: Hey, anyone out there a Marathon fan and good at 3-D modeling?
Someone: Are you doing a Marathon TC for UT or something?
Me: Yes.
Everyone: ZOMG ROFLCOPTORS!!!!

(This was before "ZOMG" and "ROFLCOPTORS" were in the common Internet vernacular. The above is merely paraphrased.)

And wow. Here we are, the better part of a decade later, and this baby of mine that I had to walk away from is grown up and out the door. Incredible. To everyone who carried on with it, you guys rock. When we released the multi-player demo, I was satisfied with what we'd done, so I stepped down as the project lead. I never thought it'd even go that far. But the thing about insecurities and hopes is that they just kind of fade away when you're in the middle of it all. When we were hammering out a clear vision for what we wanted, I wasn't thinking, "Is this really going anywhere?" Everyone was thinking of the next thing to get done. This mod and the people involved with it taught me a lot of things. It was my first real lesson in the concept of "One Step at a Time".

Everyone who worked on this mod brought something unique to it. Lt. Et'he was a military brat, and he told everyone how a real assault rifle should look, and thus was born our M.75. Ian McConville of MacHall and now Three-Panel Soul fame, is just a kick-ass artist who gave us brilliant textures. And Zipper Cat was an amazing musician who gave us tracks that are, to this day, still in my iTunes library. Those are the only specific examples I can recall, but trust me, everyone involved contributed, and the final result is incredible.

The one thing that I just don't understand is why the team still gives me any credit for any of this. I remember seeing the things they were producing, the textures, the music, the sounds, the maps, the weapons ... and I knew what it was like to see a vision take form. There's really nothing quite like it. When we came to a decision as to how something should look or sound or feel, it would be handed off to these incredibly talented people. And they would just nail it.

I just look at Marathon: Resurrection and think, "Man, I was a part of that" in this weird, surreal way. I hope everyone involved has the same thought. (Weird, surreal way is optional.) This is something very special for a lot of people. And not just for the people who were involved in its development, but for the still-vibrant community of Marathon fans.

To the team, congratulations. This is huge. For everyone involved. This little post seems like a poor way to do justice to such a remarkable achievement.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include an image (picture) with your message,
please provide the URL address of the image file:

Optional Image URL:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

| View Thread | | Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 5.01.