Title
Game
Community
Media
SPEAK YOUR MIND

"Does the distance one travels from center make one more free to move?"

"No. Freedom has two parts: potential and resolution; as metaphor has two parts: form and interpretation. Of course, the two are intertwined. Metaphor lines the road to freedom, as symbols and words are the bricks and mortar of meaning. Freedom is being the bricoleur, the mason."

Discord!
Visit Marathon:Resurrection on Discord to chat.

Old school. IRC!
Visit #marathon on irc.gamesurge.net to chat and gather net games.
Make sure you create a user profile. You can't post without one!

| View Thread | | Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum

Turn and face the change.

Posted By: Designator_Hawk
Date: 2004.4.26.15.41

In Response To: Re: Changes? (WSTE_M)

: hear hear.
: I cant quite understand teh point of removing the
: crosshair "to be true to the game" and then
: keeping jumping around nontheless.
: Though its is a lot harder to grenade jump in M:R then in
: Marathon... (at least for me)

The physics don't work quite the same in UT as they did in Marathon - much is different. You get the likes of player velocities, and calculated game physics (at least in UT2003) which result in a slightly more realistic play. Perhaps the grenade-jump problem could be resolved by increasing the momentum on the grenade projectiles? It is a purley cosmetic change that would only take a little tweaking. If I recall, you didn't get much freshair - however, in Marathon you needed to keep with the players pace (ie. grenade jump on the up-step) this you cannot simply do with UT2003 (or probably UT) - as viewbob and animations don't actually correlate; but a viewbob computation could be preformed. Needless to say, I would consider it as unnecessiarary.

What makes a game decent has been a pressing argument for me for ages - take out jump, crosshairs etc. High bodycount or rumble weapons? Bullet, beam or projectile? Personally I like innate game strategy, and the origional Marathon was just spilling with this. Jumping isn't strategic - you don't need to think about where you will be in half a second - you will be airbourne. Likewise applies to highbodycount weapons - whoever gets in the first shot is the winner. The lack of crosshairs aggrivates the professional players, but it forces people to estimate over being accurate. Shotguns and snipers tend to be the standard armment of most game players at the moment, but in actual combat I would rather have an AK over a shotgun or a sniper. All realism games aren't actually real - and the sciencefiction genre needs to look at getting the game factors balanced out.

However, the one thing that annoys me in the UT series is the ability to "snag" on the smallest protrusion from walls or static geometry. The number of times I have been killed as a result of this is amazing - I mean, who can catch on a 1cm ledge? UT players can - hell, you could probably walk along it.

-Designator Hawk

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include an image (picture) with your message,
please provide the URL address of the image file:

Optional Image URL:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

| View Thread | | Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 5.01.