Title
Game
Community
Media
SPEAK YOUR MIND

"Does the distance one travels from center make one more free to move?"

"No. Freedom has two parts: potential and resolution; as metaphor has two parts: form and interpretation. Of course, the two are intertwined. Metaphor lines the road to freedom, as symbols and words are the bricks and mortar of meaning. Freedom is being the bricoleur, the mason."

Discord!
Visit Marathon:Resurrection on Discord to chat.

Old school. IRC!
Visit #marathon on irc.gamesurge.net to chat and gather net games.
Make sure you create a user profile. You can't post without one!

| View Thread | | Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum

Why Change a Classic?

Posted By: Deet
Date: 2003.6.22.03.47

Why change a classic that had the best all-time story-line, characters (good guys and bad guys... so-to-speak) atmosphere, erie and other-worldly feeling, etc... basically one of the best games ever created?

The ONLY thing missing from this game, by today's standards anyway, is the true 3D nature and graphic superiority of today's FPS titles.

Why not do a TRUE 3D version as you're doing, and make the original characters and textures come to life in true 3D fashion. Of course they'll need to be completely recreated in order to create them by today's gaming standards, graphically.

However, I personally don't think I want a re-do of Marathon, Darandal, etc. that I may not even recognize as Marathon. What made Marathon "Marathon" was Marathon itself. If I wanted another Doom, Quake or Unreal Tourney then I'd simply play or purchase them. I mean, completely changing the weapons, the sounds, the characters is like creating something that isn't Marathon, right?

Why not simply and TOTALLY modernize the game? Simply bring 3D life to each and every aspect that was and is still Marathon? You don't take a Ferrari and recreate it to look like a mass-produced Volkwagon or Mazda. You don't take a classic master's oil painting and recreate it with a wet-on-wet technique (done in 30-45 minutes) simply because it may look more modern, "cool" and take less time in which to recreate it.

I appreciate what you guys are doing, I applaud your efforts, for sure. Thoughts of Marathon gaming bring a warm spot to my heart and soul. So why not do an exact, or near exact, modernized replica completely and totally... the way a game such as Marathon was deserves to be recreated?

Why not, and release it totally and completely... just as if Marathon were being released once again only with the sound and graphic delights Bungie used in creating Halo? Why not give id a run for their money and release Marathon in a way that will rival the up-and-coming Doom III? Marathon modernized could do that, and rival ANY title currently out there or yet to be released, in my opinion. The storlyline and nature of the characters alone would guarantee that type of success.

The way certain characters in Marathon would appear behind you and scare the crap out of you when you turned around, float along without a sound... the player thinking to himself, " Oh Man, did I just see one of those guys in the distance, or not?" (Sorry, it's been so long, I forget the names of the quiet "floating guys"-- P'fhor or S'pht?-- with the capes who fired from the medallions in their chests once opening their capes-- I'll have to go back now and fire up Marathon to remember which were which... it's making me crazy ;)) My whole point being Marathon doesn't need newer, more frightening characters... it had it's own characters which, in their own ways, were frightening enough. It WAS what made Marathon, "Marathon."

I'm just afraid when you're finished, when your Marathon renewal is completed, it will not be anything remotely recognizable as the Marathon we obviously all knew and loved.

Create a newer unrecognizable Marathon simply for multiplayer "coolness?" I think not... That's Marathon blasphemy!

I suppose I'm truly asking just how much you plan on changing Marathon. Because, anything Marathon out there, I'm always interested. But anything Marathon yet not even close to Marathon will be a true let-down.

Thanks for allowing the viewpoint.

Deet

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include an image (picture) with your message,
please provide the URL address of the image file:

Optional Image URL:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

| View Thread | | Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 5.01.