Title
Game
Community
Media
SPEAK YOUR MIND

"Does the distance one travels from center make one more free to move?"

"No. Freedom has two parts: potential and resolution; as metaphor has two parts: form and interpretation. Of course, the two are intertwined. Metaphor lines the road to freedom, as symbols and words are the bricks and mortar of meaning. Freedom is being the bricoleur, the mason."

Discord!
Visit Marathon:Resurrection on Discord to chat.

Old school. IRC!
Visit #marathon on irc.gamesurge.net to chat and gather net games.
Make sure you create a user profile. You can't post without one!

| View Thread | | Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum

Grashopper.....

Posted By: Grasshopper/MjolnirRecon
Date: 2001.11.15.12.40

In Response To: POLL: Screen Name? (Captain Kewl)

Grashopper: Marathon was the first (and only) game that I ever tried to get really good at. One of my buddies I used to play with/against always used the term Grasshopper (in a faux Kung Fu fashion) whenever we would share new Marathon tricks we'd discovered, as in "nooo, Grashoppah, you must first grenade hop to the ledge before you try to use the SPNKR...." Before that, we'd just used our regular names in net play, or we'd be alternating between "master" and "grashopper."

I liked that the name included hop (hopper), because many of our Marathon late nights included quite a bit of teaching/learning, and quite a bit of air time ;). My buddy got a gig teaching at Cambridge University so he left, and around that time, I discovered the now-classic Jason Jones post:

ah, grasshopper, the most accessable [sic] weapon of all is your own fists,

you must learn to lay aside your weapons of steel and use your flesh.

That's how I took it.

As far as my second screen name MjolnirRecon -- well, the origins of that one are pretty obvious. ;) I got UT just to play M:R, but found myself getting my butt kicked by Anaphiel, so I figured I'd try to play a bit of online UT to develop a feel for it. There are, of course, plenty of people who play with the name "Grasshopper," and I wanted a very Marathon nick, so...

Aren't you glad you asked?

-gh/mr

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include an image (picture) with your message,
please provide the URL address of the image file:

Optional Image URL:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

| View Thread | | Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 5.01.