Title
Game
Community
Media
SPEAK YOUR MIND

"Does the distance one travels from center make one more free to move?"

"No. Freedom has two parts: potential and resolution; as metaphor has two parts: form and interpretation. Of course, the two are intertwined. Metaphor lines the road to freedom, as symbols and words are the bricks and mortar of meaning. Freedom is being the bricoleur, the mason."

Discord!
Visit Marathon:Resurrection on Discord to chat.

Old school. IRC!
Visit #marathon on irc.gamesurge.net to chat and gather net games.
Make sure you create a user profile. You can't post without one!

| View Thread | | Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum

Re: Was NOT fun to play

Posted By: SilentMan
Date: 2002.10.28.09.07

In Response To: Re: Was NOT fun to play (Captain Kewl)

: This is something I was seriously considering about a
: year ago -- actually had a client-side hitscan pistol
: written up -- but then decided against it due to the
: possibility of cheating.

: After playing yesterday I started thinking about it
: again. Anyone have any opinions, pro or otherwise?

I'm not sure a zero-ping mod would make any difference for most players. In my case I seldom use the pistols to make kills with in multiplayer. The few I do make are more luck than skill because aiming without a cross hair at someone who moves, jumps and dodges all the time is virtually impossible. So I don't think that a zeroping would help that much for the pistols.

The shotguns are a bit different as they are easier to hit with so they can benefit more from a zeroping mod. Although the new animations have made them harder to aim with they are still the closest to an instagib weapon we have. At least at reasonable range. But then again, without a crosshair to aim with it's very difficult in the heat of the game to say where exactly one should hit with them. If you can line up the shot when someone runs towards or from you in a straight line, then yes it is possible to really aim. But in those rare moments you don't really need a zeroping mod do you?

The AR is most effective in close quarters and then in combination with launching grenades and basicly just covering an as large area as possibly with grenades and bullets so again, a dead on aim is seldom achieved or neccessary imo.

The secondary fire of the fusion pistol is a great equalizer for high ping. Charge the pistol, release and watch as the "splash damage" kicks in.

For the alien weapon and the SM however, I think that a zeroping mod would make them more usefull for players with +300 ping. Myself, I can't hit sh** with them for the most of the time even with low ping :D

The great equalizer, the SPNKR, is without a doubt the most used weapon in the MP games that I've been in. And the best to use when you got high ping. A few times I've seen people surviving direct hits with the rockets but that have been due to lag I think. Here I don't think that a zeroping would help that much.

BUT, even with all the above, why don't we give the zeroping a try? If the Capt'n have something ready let's try it! Even if I have doubts about that it will change the gameplay it is worth a try. And I don't think cheating will be a problem. We ain't a very competitive community from what I can tell. All the games I've been playing sofar here has given me a feeling of "it's just for fun, relax and enjoy the ride". I've never seen anyone getting upset when loosing or gloating when winning.

Uhm , quite a long post this one. I'll stop here ;)

/SilentMan

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include an image (picture) with your message,
please provide the URL address of the image file:

Optional Image URL:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

| View Thread | | Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 5.01.