Title
Game
Community
Media
SPEAK YOUR MIND

"Does the distance one travels from center make one more free to move?"

"No. Freedom has two parts: potential and resolution; as metaphor has two parts: form and interpretation. Of course, the two are intertwined. Metaphor lines the road to freedom, as symbols and words are the bricks and mortar of meaning. Freedom is being the bricoleur, the mason."

Discord!
Visit Marathon:Resurrection on Discord to chat.

Old school. IRC!
Visit #marathon on irc.gamesurge.net to chat and gather net games.
Make sure you create a user profile. You can't post without one!

| View Thread | | Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum

Just tried the M:R demo for the first time...

Posted By: Chris Wood
Date: 2004.9.15.13.55

Hello all. After originally reading about this project a couple years back I haven't been very active with computer gaming at all. I recently brought my beige G3 up to a usable standard with an inexpensive G4 ZIF upgrade and an ATI Radeon, and now I have started to use it once again.

I recently downloaded the M:R demo and played through it on single player. I must say I'm very impressed with the work that has been done, the maps, textures, and lighting all have the feel of the original game updated to new technology. I can't find any fault with those three strengths, and I'm also impressed with the interface, especially the motion sensor and the terminals. One thing I noticed immediately is how much HARDER it is. The AIs lead their projectile shots and DODGE! Almost everything AI-controlled in Marathon was fodder to a good player, while now they present a significant challenge. The effects, including the teleport effect and BCE plugins are well-done. I like that all of the original sounds were used. Is music possible?

A few things were a bit disappointing, but not unexpected given the preview screenshots. I don't like the marine model very much, as it is not nearly true-to-the-original (actually, it looks a lot like a 3D DOOM Marine :-/ ). The Phor look a bit dirty and "sharp" rather than slender, clean, and cool as in the original game sprites -- actually the polygon counts on everything are a bit low, but probably a realistic limitation of the engine. I protest the usage of revised "M2" weapons in original game; the original-style MA-75 and SPNKR X-17 would have been nicer. The grenade physics are probably spot-on, but don't appear to match the rate at which the player falls -- gravity and player speed are nothing like the Marathon series in general.

I had plenty of fun with botmatches, the gameplay is quite true-to-the original. It was great to be playing in Waldo World Arena again, complete with original-style Marathon textures. This mod really brings back memories. I can't wait to play a full single-player game all the way through!

-Chris

P.S. I really like the Hulk model (w/ the possible exception of the fangs), and I really want to see what a vaccum-ready Trooper looks like with a lightly-fogged translucent bubble. Bravo on putting the third eye on the forehead instead of on the nose -- I don't know what the Bungie guys were smoking when some of the M2 stuff was done up. :-p

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include an image (picture) with your message,
please provide the URL address of the image file:

Optional Image URL:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

| View Thread | | Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 5.01.