Title
Game
Community
Media
SPEAK YOUR MIND

"Does the distance one travels from center make one more free to move?"

"No. Freedom has two parts: potential and resolution; as metaphor has two parts: form and interpretation. Of course, the two are intertwined. Metaphor lines the road to freedom, as symbols and words are the bricks and mortar of meaning. Freedom is being the bricoleur, the mason."

Discord!
Visit Marathon:Resurrection on Discord to chat.

Old school. IRC!
Visit #marathon on irc.gamesurge.net to chat and gather net games.
Make sure you create a user profile. You can't post without one!

| Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum

Couple of comments

Posted By: Grasshopper
Date: 2002.8.7.12.59

I've gotten the chance to play this a few times now.

•I like the Pfhor models. I like their taunts, I like the way they're smarter than Marathon Pfhor, but they're not geniuses either. Since there have been a few comments on the fact that the Pfhor fighters look too "dirty," here are my two cents on the matter.

I personally wouldn't mind them if they stayed the same, however, here's a potential line of thought to consider. One of the most breathtaking elements of Marathon was the aesthetic dichotomy between the Marathon (dark, static, greasy, dirty, stuff doesn't work, colors tend to rely around black/red/yellow/metal) and the Pfhor (clean, bright, everything works, vividly pulsating, colors rely around the purple, bright green, bright yellow, pink, bright red). Someone below posted that they liked the over-saturated look of the Pfhor, and having played the Demo a bit, I think it might be worth trying out.) I also agree that it would be nice to make the Spht's innards a bit darker.

•The health of certain Phfor seems a bit inconsistent, but I need to do further testing on this. IIRC, it would take 7 punches (3 running punches) to kill a purple pfhor on Total Carnage. It would take several AR clips to get a Hulk. These pfhor seem a bit weaker (I'm playing on TC), but I could be wrong.

•I am absolutely floored at the work that's been done here. I bought UT just to play M:R, and I'm not in the slightest bit dissapointed. You've managed to not just marry mood and gameplay of Marathon, you've improved it. All of the attention to detail (berserking low-health Pfhor, timing of Spht's attacks that makes it so that they can be punched to death, sounds) really make for outstanding gameplay. My only hopes are that UT mapmakers will assist you in the task of converting the Marathon maps. I can't imagine how beautiful some of these maps are going to look like -- I'm thinking of G4 Sunbathing (which, as Anaphiel mentioned to me, would make for a great multiplayer map), and Try Again (one of my favorites).

Damn good job.

-gh

CTF

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include an image (picture) with your message,
please provide the URL address of the image file:

Optional Image URL:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

| Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 5.01.