Title
Game
Community
Media
SPEAK YOUR MIND

"Does the distance one travels from center make one more free to move?"

"No. Freedom has two parts: potential and resolution; as metaphor has two parts: form and interpretation. Of course, the two are intertwined. Metaphor lines the road to freedom, as symbols and words are the bricks and mortar of meaning. Freedom is being the bricoleur, the mason."

Discord!
Visit Marathon:Resurrection on Discord to chat.

Old school. IRC!
Visit #marathon on irc.gamesurge.net to chat and gather net games.
Make sure you create a user profile. You can't post without one!

| View Thread | | Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum

Textures -- a judgement call really...

Posted By: Grasshopper
Date: 2002.8.5.12.40

In Response To: Re: Two bugs/suggestions after playing the Demo... (Dr.BallŠ)

: The only thing I see needing work, is the 'texture map'
: on the model. Its too dirty, like they have been
: rolling in oil.

I would argue that a major influence on Marathon was Alien (the first one.) Alien was, along with Blade Runner and, to a small degree Star Wars, among an early array of science fiction movies which distinguished themselves from their predecessors in two ways:

1. The leading characters were no longer cookie-sheet super heroes. If anything, they were marginalized characters who had a multitude of problems -- money debts, bad relationships, hated their jobs, etc...

2. The technology that was portrayed in these films was advanced, but no longer longer trouble free -- it wasn't squeaky clean. Stuff didn't always work -- in fact, it sometimes never did.

The original Marathon textures reflected this to an extent -- the original maps (Arrival is a good example) are dark. There are plenty of flickering lights, plenty of barely lit rooms (presumably because those bulbs actually went out), plenty of doors that don't work, plenty of busted circuits, etc. The Marathon in itself is an old ship -- over two hundred years old, if memory serves.

Keeping the Marathon squeaky clean would either be a logistical impossibility with the kind of maintenance a ship that size would require, as well as an extremely low priority. When shit breaks, you fix it before you clean it. Additionally, I think having a "clean" Marathon would go against the spirit of the original game, based on my aforementioned example.

Just my $.02

-gh

CTF

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include an image (picture) with your message,
please provide the URL address of the image file:

Optional Image URL:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

| View Thread | | Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 5.01.