Title
Game
Community
Media
SPEAK YOUR MIND

"Does the distance one travels from center make one more free to move?"

"No. Freedom has two parts: potential and resolution; as metaphor has two parts: form and interpretation. Of course, the two are intertwined. Metaphor lines the road to freedom, as symbols and words are the bricks and mortar of meaning. Freedom is being the bricoleur, the mason."

Discord!
Visit Marathon:Resurrection on Discord to chat.

Old school. IRC!
Visit #marathon on irc.gamesurge.net to chat and gather net games.
Make sure you create a user profile. You can't post without one!

| Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum

theories from a newcomer

Posted By: inio
Date: 2002.7.19.03.51

1. (already mentioned by other people) the first thing I thought when I saw that graphic the first time was that each ring had exactly two dots, and each pair of dots had two associated marks, one on each axis. This implied their might be an ordering of the marks from inside to out or outside to in. My guess is outside to in as other people have suggested that this might be the last test, and moving towards the center both makes more sense in that case.

2. the icon to the right implies 3d space, but the z-axis is dimmed. This suggests to be that the z-coordinate might be implied by other data, rather than directly stated.

3. putting 1 and 2 together, each pair of marks probably is directly associated with a 2-d coordinate.

4. this leaves two dimensions of information unused for each pair - the angles (or relative angle) of the points on the circle. z-axis information maybe?

5. the z axis doesn't have to mean depth, it could imply scale, inverse scale (like w in homogeneous space), or rotation.

6. the x/y coords could be fit to a map by stretching the 120 diameter out to 360 to go all the way around the globe.

7. instead of absolute locations, each point might be an offset from the last point.

8. the 2d coordinates might be offset or wrapped by a certain amount (rotation was popular in the earlier puzzles I see), either constant or variable based on the z-coord.

N.E.W.S.

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include an image (picture) with your message,
please provide the URL address of the image file:

Optional Image URL:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

| Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 5.01.