Title
Game
Community
Media
SPEAK YOUR MIND

"Does the distance one travels from center make one more free to move?"

"No. Freedom has two parts: potential and resolution; as metaphor has two parts: form and interpretation. Of course, the two are intertwined. Metaphor lines the road to freedom, as symbols and words are the bricks and mortar of meaning. Freedom is being the bricoleur, the mason."

Discord!
Visit Marathon:Resurrection on Discord to chat.

Old school. IRC!
Visit #marathon on irc.gamesurge.net to chat and gather net games.
Make sure you create a user profile. You can't post without one!

| View Thread | | Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum

The big picture....

Posted By: Grasshopper
Date: 2002.7.18.14.13

•Given that Tycho said:

So then, this is what you can count on knowing:
1. The puzzle is about here on Earth.
2. Location, Location, Location.
3. The diamter is 120; the four radius lines then, are all 60.
4. "I read the news today, oh boy"

•Given that Tycho confirmed that NEWS was the clue, ie, North East West South.

•Given that Matt provided the following numbers, based on the 120 scale.

btw here's the xy coordinates I got from those dots (pretty approximate, maybe +/-2 or so...):

Point:
Dash:| 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Green|-44 100 115 -20 95 70 -80 -65 -59 68 -29 57
Red | 18 35 64 -100 -30 5 23 -25 0 18 101 99

•Given that Tycho confirmed the importance of Matt's post 4106, namely,

I translated the dots in xy coordinates and I got something that looks like it could be layed over
a map and line up with cities, perhaps.

My guess this time ( ;) ) is that there are 12 points and we are to get from this(?) with the green
and red coming in pairs based on which ring they're in. the dashes are the actual x(green) or
y(red) value. or maybe these are Longtitude and latitude coordinates, pointing out major cities...

•Given that if you HALF (ie, put on a scale to 60 rather than 120) matt's above-referenced numbers, you will get numbers which will ALL be within the crucial -90 and 90 lat/long coordinate system.

•Given that negative numbers are the ONLY way to produce ABSOLUTE lat/long coordinates. i.e., you COULD say 13 Degrees South, 56 Degrees West, but an accepted form is usually -13 North, and 56 Degrees West. In other words, positive integers ALWAYS denote either North or West, and negetive integers ALWAYS denote South or East

Given all those facts, I then therefore propose the following:

1. Our answer is a LOCATION, probably a city.
2. The way to find this location is to use the numbers given to us, translate them into long/lat coordinates, and find several other places on a world map. The "answer" should somehow become apparant.
3. That the best tool for this, found by Don IIRC, is the following

http://www.fourmilab.ch/cgi-bin/uncgi/Earth/action?opt=-p

Than when pluging in the numbers, Matt's numbers should be HALVED, because of Tycho's indication that our scale is 60, not 120.

And that's all she wrote.

-gh

the tool for the job

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include an image (picture) with your message,
please provide the URL address of the image file:

Optional Image URL:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

| View Thread | | Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 5.01.