Title
Game
Community
Media
SPEAK YOUR MIND

"Does the distance one travels from center make one more free to move?"

"No. Freedom has two parts: potential and resolution; as metaphor has two parts: form and interpretation. Of course, the two are intertwined. Metaphor lines the road to freedom, as symbols and words are the bricks and mortar of meaning. Freedom is being the bricoleur, the mason."

Discord!
Visit Marathon:Resurrection on Discord to chat.

Old school. IRC!
Visit #marathon on irc.gamesurge.net to chat and gather net games.
Make sure you create a user profile. You can't post without one!

| View Thread | | Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum

Nostalgia 3 - Maps to remember

Posted By: Ronin
Date: 2001.10.19.07.30

Some of the 3rd Party maps in marathon where something else! I have always considered anything by FrigidMan to be way cool but there were in truth countless amazing maps.

I have forgotten the name of many but here are some that linger in the memory.

1/ Iron Buddha Chakra. Using arguably the best M2 Texture. A small but beatifully put together map (remember the statues on the stairs? and the hidden flamethrower?)

2/ Brak Station (FM)An involving map with distict areas outsite/indoor coridors/lava pit/ great close up and very long distance shooting

3/ Cave Fighting (I think that is a right name) A unique map that used just one texture - rock. It was a huge cavern which led down to a large and deep pool with underground tunnel. Lots of rock columns provided both cover and something to bounce an explosion off! - I extended this map by adding a thin ledge with alcoves high above the pool which you could look down from.

4/ CarnageHeights (FM) A great map that could be played in every game type. Fun additions where the army of aliens that where release when a player strayed into a certain area and a column with hidden door that let out exploding bobs - which were great to leave running around and inconveniencing the opponents!

5/ Jafa (again I think that's right) A central tower with recharger inside one of two doors at the bottom - two high tunnels leading across to the top of the tower (which doubled as the 'hill'. Loads of cover around the rest of the map - and the cheeky hidden sniper hole.

6/ Villa Bansai. Very good flow. Different rooms and a long underground tunnnel - remember that oh-so-vunerable recharge point? another player could lower the ledge where you stood and stop you recharging!

6/ Kairn Pfhortress. A vastly complex mash of high towers, building with several entry points and loads of windows. But once you learned the map you could move from one side to the other *very* quickly and choose to go over or under your opponent - which confuses people who look at the scanner - which of course doen't show whether someone is higher or lowwer than you!

7/ On A TopS (I think) great flow - it was possible to chase people forever through this map because of the variety of different route that were possible!

8/ QuasiMoFo. Big central arena. Lots of long shots from well-covered areas. And that DARK area with all the invisibility powerups!!! arrg. trying to kill someone who has double invisibility in there was hell!

9/ Shadows of Mordor. Another great map with loads of areas and the 'hidden' route that brings you out on a the high walkway and the Alien Weapon - remember the teleporter that placed you high above the hidden doorway, where you could wait to kill anyone who comes through!

10/ Wheatgrass Chakra. Wins the award for 5-d space

Do you have any memories of these maps - what are your favourites?

nick button

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include an image (picture) with your message,
please provide the URL address of the image file:

Optional Image URL:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

| View Thread | | Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 5.01.