Title
Game
Community
Media
SPEAK YOUR MIND

"Does the distance one travels from center make one more free to move?"

"No. Freedom has two parts: potential and resolution; as metaphor has two parts: form and interpretation. Of course, the two are intertwined. Metaphor lines the road to freedom, as symbols and words are the bricks and mortar of meaning. Freedom is being the bricoleur, the mason."

Discord!
Visit Marathon:Resurrection on Discord to chat.

Old school. IRC!
Visit #marathon on irc.gamesurge.net to chat and gather net games.
Make sure you create a user profile. You can't post without one!

| View Thread | | Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum

You're kidding, right?

Posted By: Khral
Date: 2001.7.26.12.54

In Response To: Re: Cycling the HUD (Lt. Et'he)

I suggest that Team Unpfhorgiven should look into a mod called Infiltration. Just for a pointers, and not necessarily a place to copy off of. It's a UT mod based on real-life, modern weapons combat. They've got the gun models, sounds, and physics as realistic as any realistic combat game could get. You have the ability to aim from the hip or the shoulder. Realistically marines raise their guns up to their shoulder to put the iron sight to good use. What you see in Infiltration is the weapon centered on the screen about a third of the way up, with the left arm just barely showing at the bottom. With hip aiming the hands/arms are barely visible, and mostly never even visible at all (unless the player is reloading)! The original Marathon also showed this clearly. Rarely did you ever see the player's hands unless he was reloading or punching.

Currently Resurrection has the hand models too high, which indeed makes it look awkward to begin with. I'm no 3D model expert, but I can also tell you that UT is capable of more complex/smoothed models, which brings me to the gun models themselves. I'm not saying I can do better, but there is room for improvement. I'm talking specifically about the MA-75, SMG, and fists. The fusion pistol, magnum, TOZT, and SPNKR are modeled to perfection. No complaints in these areas.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the texture detail as much as how the gun looks like and how well it is oriented relative to where you're aiming. In my opinion these small details affect gameplay greatly. Texture detail is the least of my concerns, since I have to play it on the lowest setting anyway to get good frame rates. The textures still look good even at the lowest settings, I might add.

Well okay, you might be saying, "Why don't you just bugger off and play Infiltration instead?" It's because I'm more interested in seeing a Marathon TC than yet another real life combat simulator mod. I'm concerned because I care, and I care because I love! So far what I've seen is good, but there is room for improvement. =)

I mean if nobody's gonna put it bluntly, I might as well take the flak for it and speak the truth.

::gulp::

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include an image (picture) with your message,
please provide the URL address of the image file:

Optional Image URL:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

| View Thread | | Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 5.01.