Title
Game
Community
Media
SPEAK YOUR MIND

"Does the distance one travels from center make one more free to move?"

"No. Freedom has two parts: potential and resolution; as metaphor has two parts: form and interpretation. Of course, the two are intertwined. Metaphor lines the road to freedom, as symbols and words are the bricks and mortar of meaning. Freedom is being the bricoleur, the mason."

Discord!
Visit Marathon:Resurrection on Discord to chat.

Old school. IRC!
Visit #marathon on irc.gamesurge.net to chat and gather net games.
Make sure you create a user profile. You can't post without one!

| View Thread | | Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum

Re: Suggestions and Bugs

Posted By: Wolfchild
Date: 2001.7.26.10.08

In Response To: Re: Suggestions and Bugs (energy52)

: Why not make strict gameplay (no jumping, slower
: gamespeed, no footstep sounds, etc.) optional for
: multiplayer games? This would be cool...

I don't know why we need footstep sounds in any case. I am contemplating removing them altogether. I didn't make that cool motion detector for nothing. :-)

UT already has controls for the game speed.

As for jumping, well...

I'm not inclined to have it removed entirely, and despite the post in the earlier thread there's no place in any of the three beta SP levels that you can get to by jumping that you couldn't get to anyway in M1 (and I mean get to without grenade jumping) except for the place where the Hypervision was in Bigger Guns Nearby.

I have philosophical problems with having the game behave differently between SP and MP play. It would be annoying when you get used to the play in one and switch to the other. There are ways to nullify the advantages of jumping in SP. For instance, the secret room with the terminal and ammo in Blaspheme Quarantine *still* requires grenade jumping to get to despite the fact that you can jump. The short-cut ledge with the Hypervision on BGN will still require a grenade jump if I raise it's floor level slightly. In addition, with the current physics you couldn't get through Blaspheme Quarantine without jumping. However this is a topic that could probably use some more discussion, both publicly and within the team.

woof

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include an image (picture) with your message,
please provide the URL address of the image file:

Optional Image URL:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

| View Thread | | Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 5.01.