Title
Game
Community
Media
SPEAK YOUR MIND

"Does the distance one travels from center make one more free to move?"

"No. Freedom has two parts: potential and resolution; as metaphor has two parts: form and interpretation. Of course, the two are intertwined. Metaphor lines the road to freedom, as symbols and words are the bricks and mortar of meaning. Freedom is being the bricoleur, the mason."

Discord!
Visit Marathon:Resurrection on Discord to chat.

Old school. IRC!
Visit #marathon on irc.gamesurge.net to chat and gather net games.
Make sure you create a user profile. You can't post without one!

| View Thread | | Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum

Re: Rocket Launcher

Posted By: Lt. Et'he
Date: 2001.6.29.04.17

In Response To: Re: Rocket Launcher (SilentMan)

: I hope you have kept the sound of the spnkr from M1,
: which was "rich and vibrating" and not the
: "measily pitching" sound from M2 and Inf.
: The M2 and Inf sound was far from the original and I
: never understood why they changed it.

: It's been said by some to be the

If there ever was a case for us to strike off and do our own thing instead of following Marathon letter for letter, Silent Man has made it.

Why you ponder?

Because Silent Man has proved, that after 7 years, Marathon no longer really exists as a game. It's a memory, a unique experience, an experience that many hail and worship, yet their reasons for doing so are muddied, confused, misdirected, or simply a force of habit.

Like the trekkies that faithfully protect their Enterprise and snarl at Star Wars... Most of them have forgotten the exact reason for what their initial dedication to Star Trek was for.

The same is true with Macs... At some point, the user has usually forgotten the exact reason why he originally chose Macs over PC and will continue to protect his platform choice, more because of force of habit, and an effort to save face then anything else...

"Rome is an idea"
and so is Marathon. It has transcended being a mere game, and is now a worshiped idea, a goal that everyone tries to achieve for a reason that they're not quite sure of.

SilentMan has proved it...
Why?
Because tonight, I sat down with Pfhred and Anvil and opened up the sounds that the rocket makes in firing, flyby, and explosion from both Marathon 1 and Infinity.

The sounds matched up. Exactly. They are both 8 bit sounds, and they sound alike, and when dumped into Premiere to take a look at the wave form.... Again, an exact duplicate. Bungie didn't even bother to remaster the sounds for the rocket launcher, they just kept the original sounds from Marathon 1 through its sucessors.

Usually, SilentMan could be taken as mistaken, a fool perhaps, but I've seen too many similar comments and made a few of them myself in the past year.

Quite simply, Marathon is old, many people haven't played it in ages, or are just dusting off the old floppys/cds to see if it still works on their G4s... Their ideas of what Marathon is/was is altered by 7 years of time, girlfriends, parents, next generation games.

I think it's rather important that everybody realize that Marathon has transcended being a game, and is now an idea instead. With that, expect wide and varied recollections of Marathon, what was liked and disliked, and don't be surprised if a lot of the recollections are inaccurate, because they aren't remembering the game.

They're remembering themselves playing the game.

And that my fellows, is a very important distinction.

G'night.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include an image (picture) with your message,
please provide the URL address of the image file:

Optional Image URL:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

| View Thread | | Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 5.01.