Title
Game
Community
Media
SPEAK YOUR MIND

"Does the distance one travels from center make one more free to move?"

"No. Freedom has two parts: potential and resolution; as metaphor has two parts: form and interpretation. Of course, the two are intertwined. Metaphor lines the road to freedom, as symbols and words are the bricks and mortar of meaning. Freedom is being the bricoleur, the mason."

Discord!
Visit Marathon:Resurrection on Discord to chat.

Old school. IRC!
Visit #marathon on irc.gamesurge.net to chat and gather net games.
Make sure you create a user profile. You can't post without one!

| View Thread | | Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum

Re: [...] and some more [,,,]

Posted By: Rhyn
Date: 2002.1.2.17.03

In Response To: Re: [...] and some more [,,,] (Rikitikitavi)

That was a most interesting read. Reminds me strikingly of the same dev cycle (and often the same decisions) I made for Rampancy. Learning UScript from scratch is exciting and enjoyable! *gag*

: Us players have absolutly no idea how much work it takes
: for the team to make this mod available. Its just
: astonishing.

And that list of Captain's doesn't even begin to describe the effort each of those items takes. You're reading the end product. Most of those tweaks/changes takes hours to invent, code, and debug. Sometimes days. Especially dealing with clientside weapon behavior. *groan* What a mess it can be sometimes. Thank god for a little program called priority.exe that lets you serve and be a client on the same machine, thus letting you test server/client behavior without having some patient friends around and multiple machines. It would have been impossible for me to figure out what the hell was going on clientside otherwise. I'm betting you already do, but if you don't have an efficient clientside testing setup, Captain, I'd be happy to hook you up with that little program. Saved me months of dev time probably.

My dev log for Rampancy is 2 8x11 pages stuffed front and back with as many little checkboxes with descriptions as I could fit. There's probably 300-500 bugs/features listed and checked off on those things. And that's just for this summer and fall's mad rewrite and beta release.

So yeah, thank your lucky stars for people like Captain Kewl, Wolfchild, Lt. Ethe and the rest of the Resurrection team that put in many hundreds of hours into something released for free.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include an image (picture) with your message,
please provide the URL address of the image file:

Optional Image URL:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

| View Thread | | Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 5.01.