Title
Game
Community
Media
SPEAK YOUR MIND

"Does the distance one travels from center make one more free to move?"

"No. Freedom has two parts: potential and resolution; as metaphor has two parts: form and interpretation. Of course, the two are intertwined. Metaphor lines the road to freedom, as symbols and words are the bricks and mortar of meaning. Freedom is being the bricoleur, the mason."

Discord!
Visit Marathon:Resurrection on Discord to chat.

Old school. IRC!
Visit #marathon on irc.gamesurge.net to chat and gather net games.
Make sure you create a user profile. You can't post without one!

| View Thread | | Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum

Favorite Marathon Multiplay Moments:Play by Play:)

Posted By: DreamCatcher
Date: 2001.11.4.15.54

I'm goin "postal" in this forum of late :)
Anyway, I know we all have stories on some fine quality frags we made and thought Oh Yea...that was Shwweeet! Lemme give you one of my humble yet deeply satisfying frag moment.

Of course the same 6 or 8 guys would always run a Multiplay game at work. And I, again Humbly and extremely modestly express to you that I, used to kik the living sh....er um usually be one of the top 2 guys after a 10 minute bout of DM. :D

Usually, myself and a guy who'd call himself "Kurty" would be the players with the most frags and less deaths. Actually Kurty was a frag maniac; the guy would rack up an average of 30 to 40 frags in a 10-minute game. He once scored an outrageous 80. I'm not kidding. Of course his deaths would be equally as outrageous, go figure. He wasn't a habitual suicidal kind of player but if it cost you your life it was just as well. Many times he'd have a 35 kill/40 death ratio...lol. Putting him in the negatives. But he didn't care; this guy was only interested in one thing, Blood! Whether it was his own or yours it didn't seem to matter much to him. I wouldn't even hear the guy yell, "dam!" when he was fragged; he just kept movin on. Chugga Chugga!

Of course him and I had quite a few classical games. One of the tricks to winning in Marathon, a trick that can only be exploited when playing the same bunch of guys, is to "know thy enemy".

I knew Kurty's tactics, or lack there of, quite well. It was simple; he kept his game plan simple. BULL RUSH! He didn't care if you were pointing a SPNKR right in his face, THAT kind of unnerved some of the guys, his daring you to shoot. Making his opponents aware that you'd better not miss. Kurty was a very focused player and wasn't impressed with the fact that you had a SPNKR and he was holding the pistol. Now he wasn't just a bull rusher without skill, no the guy had great aiming ability, "cross hair? What cross hair?!" So how, you ask, albeit subliminally, and I'm sure you don't really care... :D, do you to deal with the likes of Kurty? (Sorry I'm getting too involved in the story).

I simply used his bull rushing tactics against him. Kurty would chase you down to China town. He was relentless!He had to see you lie in a heap of carnage before he felt able to advance onto other victims. I knew that. I counted on that. It was the hunter becoming the hunted. He chased me until "I" caught him. In one such engagement on a map called "La Cosa Nostra" Kurty was chasing me, as I had counted on, around the bends of La Cosa Nostra, getting closer to me all the while pounding me with the MA-75B Battle Rifle, I only had the pistol. My only recourse to take that was feasible between how long it would be before he was finished with me was to reach the shot gun that I knew was around one of these corners, hopefully the first one. But the timing had to be perfect or I was surely a goner. One bend, two bends, my life ebbing away with every pelt of his bullets, I was only fortunate that he had run out of grenades, but that was only a very very small sigh of relief because I knew this wasn't over, not with Kurty. My life was now just a couple more pelts away and I had thoughts of just turning around and just let the bastard have his frign frag and be done with it already. But no, I had to let him know I was not afraid of his bull dog tactics. Just then, after about the 8th bend of a corner on a thin walkway about 10 feet above the ground lied my one and only opportunity and chance to turn the tables. But the timing, the turn, the direction and the angle of the shot HAD to be right on or Kurty gets another notch on his frag belt for sure. There it laid still, I snatched it quick, then strafed left off the walkway, turned right, angled the gun up just slightly, closed my eyes and pulled the trigger!
"NO FU....WAY!!!!" a loud cry came over, causing my eyes to open quickly with the realization that not only did it work, but I had the extra satisfaction of causing the cool headed bull dog to yell in disbelief. I couldn't help but having to admit I had to agree with him on that one. It was unbelievable, memorable and most satisfyingly Marathon!
Sorry dudes...I got carried away :)

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include an image (picture) with your message,
please provide the URL address of the image file:

Optional Image URL:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

| View Thread | | Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 5.01.