Title
Game
Community
Media
SPEAK YOUR MIND

"Does the distance one travels from center make one more free to move?"

"No. Freedom has two parts: potential and resolution; as metaphor has two parts: form and interpretation. Of course, the two are intertwined. Metaphor lines the road to freedom, as symbols and words are the bricks and mortar of meaning. Freedom is being the bricoleur, the mason."

Discord!
Visit Marathon:Resurrection on Discord to chat.

Old school. IRC!
Visit #marathon on irc.gamesurge.net to chat and gather net games.
Make sure you create a user profile. You can't post without one!

| View Thread | | Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum

Permit me to troll...

Posted By: Khral
Date: 2001.10.31.11.08

For those looking for an alternative Marathon TC for UT, there is Marathon Rampancy. But no, WAIT! Stop... They've given the whole mod a completely new look. I'm not trying to speak for Gra or any of its developers, but it appears they've learned a lot since the last beta. I never liked any of the previous betas (or alphas I should say), but something completely different is brewing behind closed doors.

Just recently they kept the public up to do date on their forum with the latest info. About a month ago I requested a sample of gun model images from Gra himself. Lo and behold the guns were designed almost exactly like Marathon Infinity's (in some cases slightly modified to make it look even better). The pistol allows you to zoom in (probably a feature that was intended for original M2/MI) and for the SMG as well. The fusion pistol creates spash damage when striking water, so shooting next to an opponent's feet in a pool will cause them to take damage. You can also toss overloaded fusion pistols at people (fusion grenade?). I'm sure there'll be many more surprises, since this has been in development for what seems like eternity.

I'm not sure about gameplay/physics, but I'm pretty sure they've been changed completely as well. Just a gut feeling I'm havin'. There were also few different listed gametypes and methods of scoring, all of which sounded wonderful. The player models were also said to be revamped, but I have yet to see 'em. It's been said that they have a visor with a reflective texture (kick ass!). Its planned release date (after many delays) is next week. Note, however, the gallery of the semi-new page (link below) is completely outdated, so those aren't the real screenshots (yet). But the background picture of the reloading assault rifle appears to be from the latest build, so that may give you some idea of what is to be expected. Be patient... if it looks anything like what I saw earlier there will be some serious competition with Resurrection. I don't think that was their purpose, but it's really hard to say. It doesn't include the solo levels that Resurrection has, but if you want a mod that gives you more of a Marathon Infinity (netgame) feeling, this might be the one for you. :)

Anyway, I just wanted to pass the word that it isn't dead and that an alternative is coming soon. Keep lookin' next week and you may be pleasantly surprised. Sorry for trollin', continue with your regularly scheduled activities...

The new look of Marathon Rampancy!

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include an image (picture) with your message,
please provide the URL address of the image file:

Optional Image URL:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

| View Thread | | Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 5.01.