Title
Game
Community
Media
SPEAK YOUR MIND

"Does the distance one travels from center make one more free to move?"

"No. Freedom has two parts: potential and resolution; as metaphor has two parts: form and interpretation. Of course, the two are intertwined. Metaphor lines the road to freedom, as symbols and words are the bricks and mortar of meaning. Freedom is being the bricoleur, the mason."

Discord!
Visit Marathon:Resurrection on Discord to chat.

Old school. IRC!
Visit #marathon on irc.gamesurge.net to chat and gather net games.
Make sure you create a user profile. You can't post without one!

| View Thread | | Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum

Who Are The Spoilers?

Posted By: Wolfchild
Date: 2001.10.28.13.26

Much of the time on a KotH server it seems like there is at least one person who is not interested in playing King of the Hill. Instead they want to hang around the sides picking up cheap frags by pot-shotting those who *are* trying to get on the Hill. I am going to do something to punish these players.

The problem is coming up with an algorithm that can allow UT to discriminate between spoilers and players who are simply not doing well. This is my thinking so far:

If you have more than your share of frags and less than 20% of the total Hill time among all players, you are a spoiler.

My reasoning is that if you can get more than your share of frags and still not get much Hill time, then you're really not trying.

To annoy these players and also to allow them to become non-spoilers, I'm thinking that spoilers get suicided immediately. Thus when a spoiler gets a frag that pushes them over the edge they get killed and loose their weapons. The suicide will lower there score and make them non-spoiler again. The next time they frag someone the same thing will happen. If by some chance the can accumulate some Hill time without killing someone they can still get out of hot water.

However, I'm looking for suggestions on a better way to programmatically identify spoilers. Anyone have any good suggestions?

woof

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include an image (picture) with your message,
please provide the URL address of the image file:

Optional Image URL:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

| View Thread | | Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 5.01.