Title
Game
Community
Media
SPEAK YOUR MIND

"Does the distance one travels from center make one more free to move?"

"No. Freedom has two parts: potential and resolution; as metaphor has two parts: form and interpretation. Of course, the two are intertwined. Metaphor lines the road to freedom, as symbols and words are the bricks and mortar of meaning. Freedom is being the bricoleur, the mason."

Discord!
Visit Marathon:Resurrection on Discord to chat.

Old school. IRC!
Visit #marathon on irc.gamesurge.net to chat and gather net games.
Make sure you create a user profile. You can't post without one!

| View Thread | | Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum

Re: I'm not comparing them to each other

Posted By: Durandal
Date: 2001.7.29.00.14

In Response To: I'm not comparing them to each other (Peterius)

Sorry, but carbon-copying is no fun. There have been games made since 1994, and many of them have had cooler features than Marathon (crosshairs, 3D engines, jumping, crouching, etc...). Marathon is too damned old to be the be-all and end-all of FPS deathmatches. I thought the weapons were cooler than hell and that the story deserved UT-like graphics, with several enhancements. The player is a CYBORG. Why the hell can't he jump or crouch? Why should we retain this limitation? A lot of the "balance and feel" from Marathon that people like to talk about is due to limitations in the code from 1994. We look at it from the standpoint of: "Would Bungie have done it, if they could have, back in 1994?" For me, the only thing in single-player Marathon that needs to be preserved 100% is the story. The weapons can be redone and look totally different, the physics could be different, the maps could be different. As long as I have that story, I have Marathon's single-player game.
Multi-player-wise, hasn't anyone ever found UT, Quake 3, Team Fortress, Half Life or Counterstrike to be fun? Or, does everyone just reject all other FPS's because they're not Marathon? Everyone, yes, people other than Bungie, in the gaming industry has cool ideas. We thought that, by incorporating these cool, non-Bungie ideas into Marathon: Resurrection, we'd be making a better game.
So, I started Resurrection. If you want Marathon with better graphics GO FOR ALEPH ONE. We have a FAQ for a reason. If anyone had bothered to read it, they'd have known that we are improving upon Marathon where we thought it was lame (sprites, no jumping, no TCP/IP). That's how I got Et'he to join: by telling him that I thought that Marathon would be cooler with such-and-such features. He agreed. Carbon-copying would be the death of this project. Rehashing someone else's good work with NONE of your imagination put into it is an absolute waste of time.
This is nostalgia for Mac users, but we DO want the PC community playing this, too. We want the PC community to play Resurrection's single-player and be totally blown away with the story. How many PC users are going to play the SP all the way through once they realize they can't jump, crouch, have crosshairs, etc..? Not many. Mac users always like to tell PC guys how great Marathon's story was, but it doesn't mean dick if that story isn't presented in an attractive and modern fashion.
Bottom line: Carbon-copy with bilinear filtering is Aleph One. NOT M:R.

Marathon: Resurrection

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include an image (picture) with your message,
please provide the URL address of the image file:

Optional Image URL:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

| View Thread | | Post Response | | Return to Index | | Read Prev Msg | | Read Next Msg |

Marathon: Resurrection Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 5.01.